16 March 2016

Yes, Joey on Piano, but…

Joey on piano? Yes! But at the world theater.

I was late to be aware of an excellent Indonesian talent in music, Joey Alexander. The moment I heard about this young jazz pianist was that leading to the Grammy Award event in Los Angeles. When I mentioned about Joey’s nomination to my kids, they just laughed at me; stating the obvious---the out-of-date dad.

That said, my stumbling upon Joey was just by accident browsing about on youtube. I was trying to find some jazzy music by Tompi. I did found one video, Tompi singing his song Sedari Dulu at University of Indonesia’s Jazz Goes To Campus, November 2012.  And, there it was---Joey on piano. 

Everything was still so innocent, I should say. Tompi introduced that giant talent in tiny body as just “a little boy who can play piano”. He called him as just by “Joey on piano”.

But, no, Joey was not just playing piano. The then-9-years old Joey was presenting talent. He was there so very in, absorbed and captivating. I really like Tompi. But there Tompi's performance was graced by little Joey, making it much more memorable.

I was so astonished.  Honestly, it never crossed my mind that such mature talent belonged to a little boy in glasses. If it was just an audio file, I would never believe the piano was commanded by such innocent musician.

But greatness deserves better. Time proved that. Joey is now known by the world. He is no longer just a little boy on piano, but a talent admired and respected by famous musicians. As a child prodigy, he even has his own entry in Wikipedia now, the english version. Written about him with care.

So, Joey who was born in 2003 has released his own album, My Favourite Things, by the Harlem-based label Motema Music. As it is stated, he is “…the first Indonesian act ever to enter the Billboard 200 chart in the United States” for his debut album. 

He has played at prestigious international avenues; his name in The New York Times. He was a runner up at the 58th Grammy Awards Jazz Instrumental Album in February 2016 for his above-mentioned album. His live performance at that Grammy event was fantastic.


I believe Joey has presented Indonesia not just pride but a record of globality.  At the least in music. Watching the young, self-taught jazz genius playing his tune at Grammy was a transformation of an Indonesian talent into the highest playing field. 

Joey is no longer [just] an Indonesian; and absolutely far away from just a boy. He can even call himself a New Yorker now.

He belongs to the world now. His tasks and responsibility are great. He transpires inspiration.  

Back home in Indonesia, Joey has definitely set the upmost benchmark, challenging the next excellent few.  An obscure, unwitting observer like myself could only hope for the best.


Jakarta, 3/16

0 comments: