16 November 2006

Listening to Tompi



How do you start liking the works of a singer?

The music---that is mostly the answer; or the voice, the lyric, the style and so on. Every bit of them mixed together is perhaps the reason I start liking Tompi's songs.

As a new, groovy comer in the Indonesian music industry, Tompi is one of those popular singers whose debut attracted increasing attention. Particularly for those who like jazz- or soul-based music, Tompi is a fresh charm.

When I was young, being brought up in Riau and watched Malaysian TV broadcast, I really enjoyed the songs of P. Ramlee. He was very popular in 1970s, perhaps even to early 1980s. His jazzy touch, a colour of saxophone, poured in a silky voice rich with deep lyrics, never failed to blanket me in serenity.

I am no expert of music, not even very sure the specific or particularity of jazz, soul and blues. They could all be the same for me, the ensemble of sweet and deep rhythm voiced by horn instruments or not. Yet, compared to rebellious heavy metal sounds, rhythm and blues music may be a treat of soulful tunes.

That is the way Tompi reached my ears. I felt like having another P. Ramlee, different but reminiscent. Tompi is young and new and he has only released two albums as of now. But his music career can be promising. The color of his voice is rather one of its kind, a bit light and high but fits nicely in his own songs.

However, his first album was rather general I think, the R&B way like those of others. Nevertheless, a bit brave though, since Tompi also came out with several songs in English lyrics. An opening entry to the global music, it was said as the consideration, which is certainly constructive. In fact, he also had good collaboration with foreign musicians. We do need our singers to go global, not just entertain locally.

But the way Tompi really got me was through his latest album released during the Ramadhan this year. Anyone can point out that Tompi might be only another addition to the increasingly becoming-more-popular tradition among singers who released religious albums to commercialize the fasting month. But Tompi was unique since his contribution was "a soulful Ramadhan", the kind of music that never before joined the merrymaking.

I enjoy his songs such as that "Ramadhan Datang" (Ramadhan is Coming), "Muhammad Tlah Mengajarkan Kita", "Assalamualaika" and the rest.


He sang thankfulness to God the Merciful; he revered the Prophet; he called for faithfulness.

Of course, Tompi’s credit is not on his devoutness. For me, he is special when he is singing Aceh to us all varied in the lexicon of the Acehnesse which I don’t quite understand. But the tune is sweet, transpiring the fullness of meaning. I need no more.

That is when I regard Tompi as a rich and deep singer who has a lot of potentials. He is a medical doctor by education, but he is a promising vocalist in the map of music.

Therefore, I am joining those who hope Tompi could reach up to greater international collaborations and bring the Indonesian music to the world.

Jakarta/LA, Oct-Nov 2006

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Augusti anwar,
I am from Malaysia and an avid listener of Tompi's debut album.I agree totally with you that he has a wonderful album that you can listen to again & again without getting bored. I am a christian by religion but i would not mind listening to Tompi's religious songs (2nd album) just because i thought i heard one of his religious songs during last year ramadhan time.To me it sounded unique,original and very touching.
Regards
anita dee majanil
Telekom
Sabah,Malaysia

Jeffrey Kushairi said...

Tompi's 'T' is still his best album to date, in terms of musical arrangements that is! It's his epiphanous effort! :)